HealthCareCAN recognizes and values the long term impact that health leaders have in shaping the health system. The Legacy of Leadership Award recognizes exceptional individuals who have made long-lasting and outstanding contributions to advancing Canada’s health system and have demonstrated significant and sustained commitment toward the enhancement of the health of Canadians. The prestigious Legacy of Leadership Award will be announced and presented each year in plenary at the National Health Leadership Conference.
Recipients of the Legacy of Leadership Award embody the very best in leadership, are forward-thinking and have:
- made a recognizably significant and lasting impact on the Canadian health system at the national level over a period of 25 or more years;
- exhibited a life-long commitment to the pursuit of world-class health system leadership;
- demonstrated excellence in past or current senior leadership position(s) within Canadian health organization(s) including hospitals and/or regional or provincial health authorities, health-related provincial or federal non-government organization or association, provincial or federal government department, or the private sector;
- provided outstanding support to other/emerging Canadian health leaders by serving as an exemplary role model; and
- recognized by their peers within and outside of the publicly funded health system for their distinguished accomplishments.
Every spring, the Chairman of HealthCareCAN’s Board of Directors and the President and CEO will issue a Call for Nominations, including a nomination form, to HealthCareCAN’s member organizations. The nomination form will also be available on the HealthCareCAN website. Nominations will be submitted to HealthCareCAN by the end of April. Only HealthCareCAN’s member organizations are eligible to submit nominations. Nominations require a mover and a seconder.
The adjudication committee will be comprised of the members of HealthCareCAN’s Governance Committee, the President & CEO of the Canadian College of Health Leaders and one accomplished Canadian health leader who will be selected by HealthCareCAN. This 6-member panel will consider each nominee against the criteria set out above.
An award of $1000 will be made in the name of the recipient to a mentee of their choice or an initiative of a Canadian hospital or healthcare organization that represents the leadership, forward-thinking and impact-generating effect on the health system that the recipient personifies. The cost of travel and accommodations will be covered for the nominee to receive the award at the National Health Leadership Conference.