Reports to: Vice-President, Research and Policy
Term: 12-month contract
Salary Range: $55,000 – $65,000 commensurate with experience
A member of HealthCareCAN’s Research and Policy team, the Policy and Research Analyst promotes the organization’s vision, mission, values and goals and contributes to the operations of HealthCareCAN in accordance with the organization’s strategic directions and policies as determined by the Board of Directors. Reporting to the Vice-President, Research and Policy, the Policy and Research Analyst is committed to working in partnership with key stakeholders to drive healthcare innovation in support of research and overall service excellence by:
- Securing strategic investments and policy support for healthcare innovations aimed at priority areas;
- Advancing the generation, dissemination and adoption of knowledge and innovative practice by convening health stakeholders; and,
- Creating one advocacy voice for the full continuum of healthcare delivery organizations across Canada, influencing federal, provincial and territorial governments and advisory bodies.
The major responsibilities include: analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating research; monitoring trends and issues; preparing, reviewing and revising HealthCareCAN policy positions; managing specific projects; providing consultation, information and liaison with key stakeholders and HealthCareCAN members.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project and Policy Development
- Conducts research and analysis on priority health issues.
- Prepares research briefs, position papers, policy and discussion papers, briefing notes, reports, memoranda and presentation materials on key and emerging policy issues.
- Develops policy positions in consultation with key health system stakeholders.
- Identifies and recommends effective HealthCareCAN responses to opportunities and threats in the health research and policy field.
- Develops and manages specific projects in support of HealthCareCAN’s strategic research and policy priorities including the development of project plans, timeline and budgets.
- Manages consultant support when applicable.
- Monitors trends and developments in pan-Canadian health system research and policy issues and analyzes the need for policy development.
- Positions and advances HealthCareCAN’s mandate and strategic priorities with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contributes to inter-association working groups for projects on key issues in support of HealthCareCAN strategic priorities.
Government Relations and External Communication and Representation
- Support the organization’s advocacy and government relations initiatives and promote HealthCareCAN’s positions at the national level, helping position HealthCareCAN as the “go to” voice of Canada’s hospitals and healthcare facilities.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with key health policy influencers.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with counterparts and other staff in partner organizations, coalitions, and with other national and international stakeholder associations as well as federal government departmental officials and political staff.
- Represents the organization and presents HealthCareCAN’s positions at external meetings and functions, making presentations as required.
- Provides information and consultation to Members and stakeholders, making presentations as required.
- Provides analysis and input on national and provincial health policy issues as well as analytical summation of committee, partnership and/or coalition meetings and activities.
Support for the Board of Directors, Members and Coalitions
- Provides support for the initiatives of the Board of Directors and HealthCareCAN stakeholder forums or coalitions.
- Researches and prepares reports, background papers, and correspondence and information memoranda in preparation for Board meetings or for HealthCareCAN stakeholder forums or coalitions.
- Supports Board decision-making by identifying, analyzing and reporting on trends through contact with Members, other healthcare/provider organizations, governments, and other groups at national and international levels.
- Attends meetings and makes presentations, as required.
- Monitors and reports developments on issues identified by the Board or stakeholder forums or coalitions by maintaining contacts to obtain information and monitoring websites.
- Other related duties, as required.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in Health Administration, Public Administration, Science, Humanities or equivalent.
- Well-developed knowledge of the health sector.
- Excellent writing skills.
- A minimum of five years directly-related experience in policy analysis, policy development or research, or relevant experience in the health sector.
- Excellent research, analytical and synthesis skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including presentation skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with individuals holding different viewpoints.
- Demonstrated experience with board governed organizations and with not-for-profit and/or charitable organizations, particularly within a health environment.
- Experience in government relations is an asset.
- Proven project and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and values which facilitate successful performance in a team-based environment, including but not limited to cultural sensitivity, an ability to resolve conflicts and build consensus, and respect for all.
- Very high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to assume leadership for high-visibility projects.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work independently.
- Knowledge of the broad continuum of health services and the determinants of health.
- Ability to grasp and synthesize effectively and efficiently a broad range of concepts (including abstract and complex), information and issues related to healthcare policy.
- Flexibility and willingness to take initiative.
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset.
- The ability to travel in support of HealthCareCAN
Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document to email@example.com and indicate Application for Policy and Research Analyst position in the Subject line of the email.
If at any stage in the selection process you require special accommodation, please let us know the nature of the required accommodation. HealthCareCAN is an equal opportunity employer who values the diversity of individuals in our programs and services. Due to the high volume of applicants, we can neither confirm receipt of nor respond to inquiries regarding your application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.