Posting Date: April 16, 2019
Closing Date: May 12, 2019
Opportunity, goes hand in hand with challenge.
The IWK Health Centre has an opportunity for a strategic physician leader to challenge, guide and inspire our team of over 3000 employees and 250 physicians as we care for a population of two million women, children, youth and families across the Maritimes. As an academic health science centre and one of two provincial health authorities in Nova Scotia, we are shaping, cultivating and stewarding the health agenda for women, children, youth and families and our commitment to world-class outcomes is built on innovation, transparency and commitment.
As a member of our Executive Leadership Team, you will report directly to our CEO, Dr. Krista Jangaard. You will play a pivotal role in contributing to the strategic direction for the Health Centre and managing the operation of the IWK in accordance with established policies and the Health Centre’s business and strategic plans. The IWK Health Centre has a strong place in the hearts and minds of our patients and families and it is our respect for those we serve that drives us to deliver the best care possible.
As we begin our search, we respect the full breadth of talents required in this capacity; a transformational leader committed to our strategy; who sets an example for effective professional physician leadership; who will work collaboratively in setting direction for quality, patient safety and our clinical services, who represents our organization provincially and nationally within the health system, academic and community settings; and an experienced business steward who respect the operation and financial management of our operation. Our organization and our province have major transformation initiatives ahead, including capital redevelopment and technology renewal. Your ability to develop and sustain high performing and engaged teams will be crucial to turning strategy to action.
As the ideal candidate, your profile will reflect:
- Licensed physician with 10-15 years of progressive physician leadership and management experience in an academic health sciences centre.
- Relevant and current professional credentials – advanced degree in health administration (e.g. MHA) or comparable program would be a considerable asset.
- Proven track record of clinical, research and administrative experience in a specialty or discipline that is aligned with the mission of the IWK Health Centre
- Previous academic appointments or demonstrated connections to academic and university communities
- Current (or eligible for) registration) with the NS College of Physicians & Surgeons.
- Experience in supporting the creation of an organizational vision and leading programs and teams both operationally and strategically to support the overall strategy and performance of the organization.
- Experience in leading multiple centre-wide support services, both clinical and non-clinical, including but not limited to, medicine, academic affairs, patient safety, and/or accreditation.
- Experience leading, developing and implementing change through collaborate and respectful work relationships with internal and external partners, agencies and constituencies.
- Experience with leading and participating in national and provincial working groups, task-forces, steering committees and governance boards.
- Experience in research in the role of principle investigator, research collaborator as well as teaching within the academic setting.
- Experience coaching, mentoring and developing physicians and others to become leaders within the organization.
In addition, the following would be considered assets:
- Certified Health Executive (CHE) or intent to pursue
- Patient Safety Certification /Training
- Lean, TQM, CQI recognized formal training
- Risk Management Training specific to the health care environment
- Organizational Performance Management Training/Certification
- Change Management Training/Certification
We believe that organizations perform better when senior leadership reflects a diversity of lived experiences, cultures and languages and welcome interest from all those who feel they have the talent for this position.
To express your interest, please contact Penny Mirams or Hayley Becker at 416-366-1990 or submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence, to: www.odgersberndtson.com/en/careers/15613.
IWK Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by both Odgers Berndtson and IWK throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
Thank you for your interest with the IWK Health Centre.