Requisition #: 33950
Posting Date: April 30, 2019
Closing Date: May 27, 2019
Commitment. Action. Discipline.
The IWK Health Centre is committed to health research and innovation. We have combined resources to ensure our actions have strength. Our disciplined approach now during this pivotal time in our province will translate to successful outcomes for patients and families. With this on offer, we are searching for a Vice President, Research & Innovation to lead us through this compelling period.
In this newly designed role, you will lead our dedicated teams as they carry out foundational and leading-edge work in support of a population of two million women, children, youth and families across the Maritimes. The IWK Health Centre is an academic health sciences centre, supported by over 3000 employees and 250 physicians. As one of two provincial health authorities in Nova Scotia, we work across a wide spectrum encompassing basic science research to the transfer of that knowledge to clinical care, social science, system improvement, health services delivery and the economic development of our region.
As a member of our Executive Leadership Team, you will report directly to our CEO, Dr. Krista Jangaard and contribute to the implementation of the IWK’s strategic and operational plans and initiatives. You will develop and execute on the organization’s research and innovation strategies. Working in partnership with senior leaders, clinicians, researchers and industry, you will be focused on defining key health policy and delivery questions, and implementing research and evidence-based science to improve the quality, effectiveness and sustainability of care, as well as patient/population health outcomes that contributes to the IWK’s mission to passionately pursue a healthy future for women, children, youth and families in our community.
As an Executive co-leader, you will professionally represent our organization locally and nationally on external task forces, governance boards and steering committees, seeking investments in research and innovation. Forming strong connections with academic health centres involved in women’s and children’s health will strength our knowledge network. As a supporter of talent attraction and career advancement, you will bring energy to the recruitment and support of emerging, developing and experienced research leaders and innovators.
You will advocate for accountability and measurable outcomes and continue our successful practice of bringing together partners who can do more together than individually to advance health outcomes and system performance.
As the ideal candidate, we are searching for an MD or PhD scientist with significant experience leading research who has (or is willing to secure) an academic appointment in an appropriate discipline at one of Nova Scotia’s universities. In addition, your profile will reflect:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience at a senior leadership level at an academic health science centre involved in planning and implementing a variety of research, innovation and knowledge translation activities provided across several locations with multiple partners and stakeholders.
- Experience in supporting the creation of an organizational vision and leading programs and teams both operationally and strategically to support the overall strategy and performance of the organization.
- Demonstrated scientific excellence and record of success in research, translating knowledge into practice, and/or research administration.
- Experience engaging, mentoring and empowering teams and stakeholders in a collaborative, participatory manner to respond to the mission, vision, goals and objectives of an academic health science centre.
- Experience leading, developing and implementing change through collaborate and respectful work relationships with internal and external partners, agencies and constituencies.
- Experience with leading and participating in national and provincial working groups, task-forces, steering committees and governance boards.
- Experience in research in the role of principle investigator, research collaborator as well as teaching within the academic setting.
- Experience coaching, mentoring and developing others to become leaders within the organization.
- Experience in supporting the office of the CEO in issues management, government relations and crisis management as well as working directly with the Board of Directors in leading discussions, planning sessions, organizational performance.
The following would be considered assets in this executive position within our organization:
- Knowledge of the health research funding environment in Canada
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills, reflecting tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrated understanding of budgets and long-term financial planning
- Ability to exercise initiative and vision, be resourceful, work independently, achieve cooperatively, adapt easily to changes in direction and to provide effective leadership
We believe that organizations perform better when senior leadership reflects a diversity of lived experiences, cultures and languages and welcome interest from all those who feel they have the talent for this position.
To express your interest, please contact Penny Mirams or Hayley Becker at 416-366-1990 or submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence, to: www.odgersberndtson.com/en/careers/15614.
Thank you for your interest in the IWK Health Centre.