Job No: 110664
Employment Status: Permanent, Full-time
- Great opportunity for a legal professional!
- Receive a highly competitive salary based on experience, plus an attractive benefits package!
- Work with a passionate team where you can use your skills to truly make a difference in the lives of others!
About Lawyers Assistance Program
Lawyers Assistance Program BC (LAPBC) is an independent organization of members of the BC legal community that provides professional counselling, peer support, outreach and educational programs to help people within the legal profession deal with personal problems. Our committed volunteers and staff provide confidential, compassionate, and knowledgeable help and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We offer support to people across a range of issues including depression, anxiety, alcohol, drug, and other addictions, codependency, career and life transitions, stress management, mental health issues, and practice issues.
For more information about us and our services please see our website.
About the Opportunity
LAPBC is currently seeking a Lawyer/Counsellor to join our team in Vancouver, British Columbia on a full-time basis.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Lawyer/Counsellor will educate and work with lawyers, judges, law students, law office staff, and lawyer’s families. They will also assist in the managing of staff, program development, and coordinating the daily activities of the LAPBC.
More specifically the responsibilities of this role will include:
- Providing support and assistance to the Executive Director as required.
- Acting as the initial contact point for referrals to LAP and remaining accessible to current members or to any member of the legal community seeking help.
- Providing support, education, referral or counselling to members seeking assistance.
- Researching and maintaining familiarity with referral resources such as individual health care providers and treatment programs.
- Assisting in the development of a resource listing that is available to members or prospective members needing evaluation, treatment, or aftercare.
- Acting as a liaison to the lawyer support meetings throughout the province by attending each of the support meetings on a periodic basis in order to answer any questions or concerns that may be raised by members.
- Promoting LAP throughout the province.
- Planning and delivering educational programs for the legal community with respect to all sources of potential lawyer impairment as well as treatment and prevention measures.
- Continuing with education, training, and development in the areas of working with individuals in distress.
- Maintaining familiarity with the 12 Steps of Recovery.
- Living a healthy balanced life and providing a good example of a person living a life that balances the physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual aspects of life.
In order to qualify for this role, you will be an experienced licensed or formerly licensed lawyer and have counselling experience. Experience or training in alcohol and chemical dependency and an understanding of and/or experience with 12-step programs is a bonus. If applicable a minimum of five consecutive years of recovery is preferred.
Our ideal candidate for this role will have a demonstratable passion for the legal profession and the work of helping others. Individuals with excellent communication skills, a self-starter mentality, and a strong desire to continually grow and learn will excel in this role.
About the Benefits
Upon joining us, you will receive a highly competitive salary based on your skills and experience. You will also receive access to a great range of benefits, including:
- Extended medical and dental benefits.
- Paid counselling insurance.
- Flexible working hours.
- Three week’s vacation on joining that increase with length of service.
- Options for unpaid leave.
- Relocation assistance of up to $10,000 for the right candidate.
Don’t miss this opportunity to join a passionate team where you can use your skills to truly make a difference in the lives of others.
To be considered for this role please scroll down and complete the application form to apply!
To apply for this role please go to https://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/110664