September 5, 2019 (Ottawa) – HealthCareCAN, the national voice of hospitals and healthcare organizations, is calling on all candidates running in the federal election to tell voters how they will commit to helping secure the future of health in Canada.
“Canadians are clear; they expect leadership from Ottawa to ensure our health care system can transform to meet the needs of our nation,” said Paul-Émile Cloutier, HealthCareCAN President and CEO. “Yet all too often patients, providers and health institutions are forced to overcome system shortcomings. Election 2019 is our chance to ensure candidates make real commitments to secure the health of Canadians.”
HealthCareCAN is asking candidates to commit to action in three specific areas to better help Canada’s health organizations better serve Canadians:
Provide national leadership for the future of health in Canada
- Canadians expect the federal government to be a responsible steward of the health system, ensuring that health care is affordable, accessible, vital, and innovative in the 21st century.
- Federal candidates for office need to articulate a vision for leadership in health that includes the party’s values, principles and ambitions for health and healthcare.
Make Canada a global leader in health innovation and research
- Canada can become a health innovation leader by embracing the promise of technology and data platforms in the delivery of health care.
- The federal government should make targeted investments in health research and innovation to improve the system’s resilience, sustainability, and capacity to generate and use data to improve care.
Champion health as the foundation for wealth
- Healthcare organizations are the bedrock of the communities they serve and a key driver of economic activity.
- Canada’s national policy needs to recognize the value of health infrastructure and its importance to delivering on broader goals in the economy and in Canadian life.
- Canadian hospitals and research institutes must be eligible to apply directly for federal health research, innovation and infrastructure funding.
HealthCareCAN is the national voice of healthcare organizations and hospitals across Canada. We foster informed and continuous, results-oriented discovery and innovation across the continuum of healthcare.
– 30 –
Steve Wharry, Director, Communications and Member Services
855-236-0213/613-241-8005 ext. 205 │ Cell: 613-761-8400