As a Catholic hospital, we are committed to providing excellence in specialized mental health and addictions services grounded in research and education and guided by faith-based values. As an inspired organization, we will change lives by leading the advancement and delivery of compassionate care.
Position Title: Patient Care Assistant
Job Class: Patient Care Assistant
Program(s): Provincial & Regional
Rate of Pay: $24.60 – $25.85 per hour
Employment Type: Permanent Part Time
Employee Group: OPSEU
Temporary Part Time (up to 1-2 years)
Posting Type: Open
Posting Date: February 6, 2020
Work Schedule: Part Time as per schedule
Shift Type: Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
Waypoint Centre’s High Secure Provincial Forensic Programs and Regional Programs are currently seeking dedicated Patient Care Assistants.
- Work under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse and/or Registered Practical Nurse
- Instruct, counsel, and assist patients in personal hygiene, life skills and encourage development of acceptable social behavior, provide direct basic care and assist with activities of daily living
- Assist with patient socialization and recreational activities at Waypoint
- Report to the team leader/charge nurse any observations of physical and behavioral issues related to patients, document in the electronic clinical file; maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Mental Health Act and Waypoint policy, and are subject to the same ethical standards as registered staff.
- Provide a safe, therapeutic environment for patients who are experiencing physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral challenges
- Provide escorts of patients within the facility and where appropriate to outside agencies
- Participating in planned and emergency restraints
- Developmental Support Worker diploma, or Personal Support Worker diploma (inclusive of any College, Private College or Adult Education Facility that includes a minimum of 600 joint classroom and practical experience hours) and/or successful completion of at least one year of a recognized Nursing Program (BScN or Practical Nursing)
- Current CPR and First Aid
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with personal support theory and procedures
- Experience with basic patient care procedures (including mobility, hygiene and feeding) and the use of assistive devices
- Recent and related experience working in a mental health facility or service is preferred
- Specialized education/training in forensics, dual diagnosis, gerontology, and/or addictions considered an asset
- Recent experience with Patient Safety and Risk Management policies and standards, including all hospital codes and interventions
- Results oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
- Demonstrated leadership, conflict resolution, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to adapt readily to change
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values (Caring, Respect, Accountability, Innovation), and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
- Preference for proficiency in French/English language
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by quoting Job ID WC20-30. Please Note: This posting will remain open until filled. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity, what employment type you are interested in (permanent, temporary or both) and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.