As a Catholic hospital, we are committed to providing excellence in specialized mental health and addictions services grounded in research and education and guided by faith-based values. As an inspired organization, we will change lives by leading the advancement and delivery of compassionate care.
Position Title: Pharmacist
Job Class: Pharmacist
Dept/Program: Specialized Geriatric Services
Rate of Pay: $45.79 – $56.18 per hour
Employment Type: Temporary part time up to 1 year
Employee Group: OPSEU
Work Schedule: 37.50 hours weekly as per schedule
Posting Date: January 9, 2020
Posting Type: Open
The North Simcoe Muskoka (NSM) Specialized Geriatric Services (SGS) Program, a LHIN-wide program under the leadership of Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care, was established in 2016 to advance the care of frail seniors and caregivers in the NSM region. With a mandate for leadership, clinical service, education and mentorship, research and ethics as well as advocacy, the program collaborates with a broad variety of partners from within and outside the NSM health system to improve patient outcomes, build capacity and foster system change.
The SGS Program is currently seeking a Pharmacist to work as part of a highly collaborative, interprofessional team to provide geriatric pharmacotherapy expertise to geriatric specialist clinicians and other health service professionals to assist medication optimization in seniors from all clinical settings. Work focuses on supporting the Behaviour Support System (BSS) team and continuing to build the NSM satellite site of GeriMedRisk.
GeriMedRisk is an interdisciplinary telemedicine geriatric clinical pharmacology and psychiatry consultation service based in the Waterloo-Wellington LHIN region. Within GeriMedRisk the Pharmacist will collaborate with physicians in the area of geriatric medicine, geriatric psychiatry, and clinical pharmacology to provide consults and answer drug information questions over the phone and via e-consult from referring physicians, nurse practitioners and pharmacists. The work of the Pharmacist will include clinical service, knowledge translation to build system capacity as well as research and evaluation. **Please note: The location of this position is in the regional office of the NSM SGS program in Barrie. Travel within and outside the NSM LHIN region will be required for this role.
- Collaborates with the SGS Program and GeriMedRisk to continue to build the GeriMedRisk satellite site in NSM, including developing and/or adopting key policies, procedures, tools, processes, etc.
- Actively collaborates and successfully engages with geriatric specialist clinicians and health service professionals, including GeriMedRisk physicians specializing in geriatric medicine, clinical pharmacology, internal medicine and geriatric psychiatry
- Liaises with regional partners and organizations to understand the clinical environment and geriatric service needs.
- Collects detailed medication histories as well as relevant medical history findings (e.g., physical examinations, lab results)
- Utilizes clinical resources and performs targeted literature searches to inform consultations and recommendations, including critically appraising research studies/systematic reviews and synthesizing collected knowledge
- Applies clinical judgement to determine need for additional consultations with physicians and other clinicians
- Provides timely concise consultation letters to referring clinicians documenting recommendations as well as conveying information that will help build geriatric pharmacology capacity
- Identifies, communicates and, as able, addresses potentially serious/risk situations
- Maintains regular communication with key pharmacy team members to continue to support professional development, including the Waterloo-Wellington GeriMedRisk Pharmacist Lead and other pharmacist team members, as appropriate
- Actively attends regular team meetings and events for education, team building and communication, including GeriMedRisk clinical and drug summary rounds as well as relevant SGS team meetings/events.
- Develops, implements and evaluates education and training to members of the SGS team, other health care providers and the public as appropriate to support capacity building in the NSM region.
- Participates in research and program evaluation as appropriate/required, including identification of research opportunities and collecting/analyzing data to support program performance management and evaluation.
- Maintains accurate records, including maintaining clinical records in alignment with PHIPA legislation.
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree and be Licensed in Part A with the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- At least five years’ experience working in either a hospital or ambulatory setting, with specific experience working with frail seniors, chronic disease management and common complex geriatric medical conditions
- Board Certified Geriatric Pharmacy (BCGP) certification an asset
- Completion of a hospital pharmacy or ambulatory pharmacy residency an asset
- Strong analytical skills and critical appraisal skills to search and review current literature
- Excellent interpersonal skills with evidence of success in building relationships, in project collaboration, in working within interdisciplinary teams and in knowledge translation
- Results oriented work ethic with proven ability to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
- Proven technology skills with familiarity with electronic communication devices, proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and excellent technology trouble-shooting skills
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values, and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
- Proven written and verbal communication skills, with French language proficiency an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle as travel is required for this role
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by close of business (5:00 pm) on January 18, 2020 quoting Job ID WC19-278. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position, however, due to high volumes only those selected for an interview will be contacted.