As a Catholic hospital, we are committed to providing excellence in specialized mental health and addictions services grounded in research and education and guided by faith-based values. As an inspired organization, we will change lives by leading the advancement and delivery of compassionate care.
Position Title: Registered Nurse
Job Class: Registered Nurse
Programs: Provincial & Regional
Rate of Pay: $39.33 – $47.55 per hour
Employment Type: Permanent Part Time
Employee Group: OPSEU
Temporary Part Time (up to 1-2 years)
Work Schedule: Part Time as per schedule
Posting Date: January 31, 2020
Posting Type: Open
Shift Type: Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
Waypoint Centre’s Provincial Forensics and Regional Programs are currently seeking dedicated Registered Nurses. The Registered Nurses will provide mental health nursing care, physical assessment and related care required to patients within a specialized inter-professional clinical program.
- Providing leadership in the provision of nursing services within the nursing and inter-professional teams especially in circumstances when the patient’s condition is more complex and the outcomes of patient care are unpredictable
- Assessing patient condition and needs based on interviews, interaction and direct observation; developing and implementing therapeutic patient treatment/care/discharge plans
- Developing therapeutic nurse-patient relationships utilizing nursing and other theoretical or practice frameworks i.e. psychosocial rehabilitation, counselling, health teaching, administering and monitoring medication, and teaching life skills in preparation for community reintegration
- Observing, assessing, recording, and reporting patient condition; evaluating progress and modifying plans as appropriate; assessing patient risk to self and/or others; participating in quality improvement activities to facilitate changes in nursing practice and inter-professional care
- Contributing to a safe, therapeutic environment through adherence to the College of Nurses of Ontario Standards, program/facility-wide policies and procedures, including mandatory training
- Current registration in good standing as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario, a valid CPR/AED Level HCP certification completed within the last 12 months and First Aid, with a preference for CNA certification in psychiatric/mental health nursing
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with medical and mental health nursing theory and practice
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with medication practices, side effects, and current treatment modalities, knowledge of mental health medications an asset
- Specialized education/training in forensics, dual diagnosis, gerontology, and/or addictions considered an asset
- Recent mental health nursing and/or forensic experience in a mental health facility or service is preferred, including familiarity with the recovery philosophy, and trauma informed care
- Experience with patient safety including emergency patient care procedures
- Results oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
- Demonstrated leadership, conflict resolution, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to adapt readily to change
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values, and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
- Preference for proficiency in French/English language
Note: The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s Tuition Support Program (TSPN) offers tuition reimbursement to new graduate nurses from rural and remote communities who chose to do a return- of- service (ROS) in an eligible community. Please visit www.health.gov.on.ca for more information.
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by quoting Job ID WC20-29. Please note: This posting will remain open until filled. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity, what employment type you are interested in (permanent, temporary or both) and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.