As a Catholic hospital, we are committed to providing excellence in specialized mental health and addictions services grounded in research and education and guided by faith-based values. As an inspired organization, we will change lives by leading the advancement and delivery of compassionate care.
Position Title: Registered Practical Nurse
Job Class: Registered Practical Nurse
Programs: Provincial & Regional
Rate of Pay: $30.52 – $32.54
Employment Type: Permanent Part Time
Employee Group: OPSEU
Temporary Part Time (up to 1-2 years)
Work Schedule: Part Time as per schedule
Posting Date: January 31, 2020
Posting Type: Open
Shift Type: Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
Waypoint Centre’s High Secure Provincial Forensic Programs and Regional Programs are currently seeking dedicated Registered Practical Nurses. The Registered Practical Nurses will provide mental health nursing care, physical assessment and related care to patients within a specialized inter-professional clinical program.
- Assess patient condition and needs; develop and implement therapeutic patient treatment/care/discharge plans
- Actively participate in the identification and coordination of provision of services and resources for patients from admission to discharge
- Observe, assess, record, and report patient condition; evaluating progress and modify plans as appropriate; assess patient risk to self and/or others
- Contribute to a safe, therapeutic environment through awareness of the College of Nurses of Ontario Standards, program/facility wide policies and procedures, and mandatory training
- Current registration in good standing as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario, and a valid CPR/AED Level HCP certification completed within the last 12 months and First Aid
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with medical and mental health nursing theory and practice
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with medication practices, side effects, and current treatment modalities, knowledge of mental health medications an asset
- Specialized education/training in forensics, dual diagnosis, gerontology, and/or addictions considered an asset
- Additional experience with the recovery model, and trauma informed care is an asset
- Preference for forensic mental health experience in a mental health facility or service
- Experience with patient safety including emergency patient care procedures
- Demonstrated reasoning and analytical skills
- Results oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
- Demonstrated leadership, conflict resolution, interpersonal, teamwork and organizational skills
- Proven ability to adapt readily to change and experience working in a fast-paced work environment
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
- Preference for proficiency in French/English
Note: The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s Tuition Support Program (TSPN) offers tuition reimbursement to new graduate nurses from rural and remote communities who chose to do a return- of- service (ROS) in an eligible community. Please visit www.health.gov.on.ca for more information.
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by quoting Job ID WC20-31. Please note: This competition will remain open until filled. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity, what employment type you are interested in (permanent, temporary or both) and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.