Position: Clinical Research Manager (CRM)
Site: Peter Munk Cardiac Centre (PMCC)-TGHRI
Department: Clinical Trials and Translation Unit (CTTU)
Reports to: Director/Principal Investigators
Salary Range: $92,071 to $115,089 per annum commensurate with experience and consistent with the UHN Compensation Policy
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: Permanent Full-Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Clinical Research Manager in our Clinical Trials and Translation Unit at the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The Clinical Research Manager, a key leadership position with the CTTU, reports to the CTTU Director and CTTU Associate Directors. The Manager supports the CTTU Director and Associate Directors to manage the day to day operation of the CTTU, including direct management of finances, staff and clinical trials. The Manager has extensive experience in management and coordination of large scale, multi-centre clinical trials and specializes in industry budget preparation, contract negotiation and regulatory compliance. The Manager has deep knowledge of financial practices, program and SOP development and project and team management. The Manager assists the CTTU leadership team to implement and coordinate strategic program objectives and new initiatives while liaising with key stakeholders.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to: supporting the CTTU Director and Associate Directors in the management of day to day operation of the CTTU; training and supervising Clinical Research Coordinators; maintaining training and proficiency of staff; liaising with investigators, administrative staff, sponsors, and clinical trials staff to develop and initiate clinical trials; developing and monitoring financial models to budget and forecast the CTTU operating budget and clinical trial revenue/expenses to ensure fiscal responsibility; preparing, reviewing and negotiating budgets for investigator-initiated, industry and grant funded clinical trials; reviewing and negotiating clinical trial contracts and service agreements with investigators and other internal/external stakeholders; overseeing the intake and coordination of CTTU clinical trial services for PMCC investigators; developing, implementing and maintaining high quality clinical trials procedures and processes; managing clinical trials progress, including tracking and monitoring of milestones/deliverables, trial finances, auditing; ensuring accountability in clinical research practices (e.g., ICH-GCP); reviewing, writing and updating relevant SOPs and guidelines for the CTTU and clinical trials; performing cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with job classification, as assigned or requested.
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline or health professional degree or recognized equivalent; Master’s degree preferred
- Holds recognized certification in clinical research (e.g., ACRP or SOCRA)
- Minimum 3 years clinical and/or professional experience
- Minimum 3 years of clinical research experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with Industry-sponsored clinical trials
- Minimum 3 years supervisory/management experience
- Minimum 3 years experience in research contract budget management
- Demonstrates strong leadership and motivational skills
- Excellent skills in recognizing, analyzing and resolving problems
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to form/defend independent judgments and to use good judgment in assessing difficult situations.
- Ability to work effectively and demonstrates composure under pressure/stressful conditions and to meet multiple and competing deadlines
- Adapts to and implements change and facilitates its acceptance by others
- Working knowledge of computer, preferably Microsoft Office and Outlook applications.
- Has knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies, procedures and protocols
- Has knowledge of collaborative networks, primary care, and integrated health systems
- Has knowledge of applicable legislation affecting human resources (i.e. Human Rights, Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, etc.)
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.