Reports to: Executive Director, Patient Experience
Location: Yukon Territory
Yukon Hospitals are a family of acute care hospitals focused on delivering safe and excellent care to all Yukoners at our facilities in Whitehorse, Dawson City and Watson Lake. Our comprehensive health services set a high standard of care in our territory and are models of care both nationally and internationally. Our community of more than 500 health care providers, professionals and medical staff are passionate about and committed to the best possible patient experience every time.
Hospitals in Our Family
- Whitehorse General Hospital is Yukon’s primary acute care centre, providing a full range of care, including 24/7 emergency care, inpatient and ambulatory care, surgical services, cancer care, visiting specialists’ clinics, therapy and lab services, and advanced diagnostic imaging.
- Dawson City Community Hospital and Watson Lake Community Hospital allow many Yukoners to receive care closer to home through access to 24/7 emergency care, inpatient and ambulatory care as well as many lab and diagnostic imaging services.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Patient Experience, the Operations Leader of one of our Community Hospitals has the responsibility, authority and accountability for the effective management of a community hospital facility (clinical, personnel management, and support services). The incumbent will work closely with his/her colleagues on the Management and Executive Teams to ensure seamless day-to-day operations of the site. This position will also be accountable for supporting the implementation and evaluation of programs that facilitate the professional development and continuous learning of all team members. While the main objectives of this position are operationally focused, patient experience is all encompassing and may require the incumbent to take on a variety of tasks or projects to ensure patients and families have an optimal experience. This position also acts as the main point of contact with/for individuals of the community, as well as performs other related duties.
LIVING AND WORKING IN THE YUKON
Yukon has been known since the famous Klondike gold rush of the later 1890’s. It is a wonderful place to live with breathtaking wilderness, a wealth of opportunities, abundant natural resources and friendly welcoming people. Living in Yukon has a unique experience one cannot get in the big, more urban provinces of Canada. There’s a sense of peace and tranquillity in this territory like no other. The quality of life is exceptional thanks to the magnificent landscape, safe environment, and a healthy lifestyle for the people living here.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
- Supervises the activities and provides leadership for all departments/services within the facility.
- Works collaboratively with managers at Whitehorse General Hospital as support experts for departmental functioning and meeting standards (i.e. Lab Manager, Pharmacy Manager, Manager Facilities & Security, CCMs, etc.) while overseeing facility staff to ensure consistency in practice with current standards, to remain current re: legislation and ensures compliance with all regulatory standards.
- Performs recruitment, selection and overall human resources management within the facility. This includes, but is not limited to: interviewing, hiring, conducting performance evaluations, performing attendance management, attending to personnel issues, and providing discipline, as necessary, following all Yukon Hospitals policies and the respective Collective Agreements.
- Sets and executes on self- and team development goals, and role models behaviours aligned with the values of the organization. Identifies learning needs and participates in goal setting to enhance work performance. Ensures the orientation, staff development, coaching, mentoring, and continuing education of staff, while maintaining own professional/personal development (mandatory and non-mandatory education). Liaises with directors, managers, and physicians to ensure orientation to facility, and Yukon Hospitals policies and procedures.
- Effectively manages budgetary responsibilities within the finance authority’s matrix, and assists to ensure annual budget allocation is not exceeded. This involves preparing and analyzing relevant financial and clinical data, as well as identifying and implementing appropriate corrective action for budget variances.
- Participates in hospital and community disaster planning, resolution of safety concerns and long-term planning on health related issues and develops community linkages for health promotion and continuity of care to improve patient outcomes.
- Contributes to and helps to foster an environment and system that enhances cultural safety as determined by our patient/client, recognizing that cultural safety is influenced by all employees, leadership and governance. Ensures compliance with patient and workplace safety initiatives and understands how safety and learning is advanced at all levels of the organization.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The Operations Leader applies leadership capabilities developed throughout their career. They are guided by the best available quality standards; person-centered care practice guidelines; patient safety standards and the best available evidence for practice. We are looking for a health care practitioner that demonstrates:
- Good knowledge of management methods, techniques and solid management skills;
- Strong human resource and interpersonal skills with the ability to organize, coach, mentor and evaluate staff in varied roles;
- Sound financial management, and ability to develop and report on the annual operating budget;
- Sound leadership skills and techniques, including knowledge of conflict resolution skills and techniques;
- Ability to work well with partners;
- Ability to support an interdisciplinary healthcare team;
- Good knowledge of health care and hospital systems;
- Ability to model the values and attributes needed of staff working in a community hospital focussing on creating an exceptional quality patient and family experience and ensuring patient safety;
- Strong ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and make decisions both interdependently and independently;
- Ability to be effective in planning, implementing and evaluating change;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Strong analytical and organization skills;
- Self- motivated and willingness towards continued learning;
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
EDUCATION AND RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or related field; and
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a health care professional field
- Minimum of (1) year related leadership experience in nursing or hospital management, financial management, leadership, or staff development;
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be considered.
- Meditech experience is an asset;
- Current CPR-HCP
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding benefit package
- Generous housing allowance
- Relocation package
QUESTIONS AND APPLICATION INFORMATION
If you are interested in being considered for this exciting and challenging leadership position, please submit your confidential expression of interest (cover letter and current resume) to Ed Perkovic, Vice President Search Delivery, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please contact a member of the Project Team:
As leaders in Search, Talent and Leadership Development, and Career Solutions, we assist organizations in finding new talent, and helping their employees navigate change, become better leaders, develop better careers, and transition into new jobs. We have the local expertise, global infrastructure, and industry-leading technology and analytics required to simplify the complexity associated with executing critical talent and workforce initiatives, reducing brand and operational risk. Teams across Canada and around the world leverage our proven programs and global experience to deliver tailored solutions to clients that align talent with the needs of their business. Our global reach spans more than 300 locations in 65 countries, with a global workforce of over 3,000 experienced professionals. For more information visit www.lhhknightsbridge.com.