About Yukon Hospitals
Yukon Hospitals are a family of acute care hospitals focused on delivering safe and excellent care to all Yukoners at our facilities in Whitehorse, Dawson City and Watson Lake. Our comprehensive health services set a high standard of care in our territory and are models of care both nationally and internationally. Our community of more than 500 health care providers, professionals and medical staff are passionate about and committed to the best possible patient experience every time.
Hospitals in our family:
- Whitehorse General Hospital is Yukon’s primary acute care centre, providing a full range of care, including 24/7 emergency care, inpatient and ambulatory care, surgical services, cancer care, visiting specialists clinics, therapy and lab services, and advanced diagnostic imaging.
- Dawson City Community Hospital and Watson Lake Community Hospital allow many Yukoners to receive care closer to home through access to 24/7 emergency care, inpatient and ambulatory care as well as many lab and diagnostic imaging services.
The Director, Patient Care and Experience is a leadership position which combines administrative skills with nursing knowledge. The successful candidate will display passion and optimism, inspire respect and trust; and provide vision and inspiration to peers and direct reports. The Director will work to ensure culturally sensitive, safe, high quality, patient and family centred care is provided.
The role will include the development and implementation of operational plans for the clinical areas of Whitehorse General Hospital including in-patient units, peri-operative services, Emergency Department, and Intensive Care Unit will be aligned with YHC’s strategic plan and involve internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent will work closely with his/her colleagues on the Management and Executive Teams, in particular the Directors at the Dawson City and Watson Lake Community Hospital sites, to ensure seamless day to day operations.
This position will also be accountable for supporting and managing the design, implementation and evaluation of programs which facilitate the professional development and continuous learning of all team members. While the main objectives of this position are clinically focused, patient experience is all encompassing and may require the incumbent to take on a variety of tasks or projects to ensure patients and families have an optimal experience.
Duties and responsibilities
Leadership responsibilities include the following:
- Promotes a culture which focuses on the provision of high quality, safe and effective care by exhibiting professional and ethical behaviour at all times;
- Assists in the development, communication, and implementation of the YHC Business Plan, Strategic Plan, Safety and Quality Management Plan including key metrics;
- Maintains positive working relationships and effective communication throughout the organization, with healthcare partners and the community;
- Investigates/addresses complaints, issues, or incidents that arise in the provision of care and takes remedial action within the bounds of delegated authority;
Client Care Management responsibilities include the following:
- Facilitates cooperation and collaboration among disciplines to improve quality patient care;
- Ensures that a multi-disciplinary approach is utilized in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of new and existing programs/services (including patient and family involvement where appropriate);
- Leads/participates in case reviews;
- Works with patients and families to hear and resolve their concerns/complaints;
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, Patient Experience and YHC management integrates patient care best practices, quality improvement and risk management standards into programs and services;
- Oversees consistency in practice with current standards to remain current re: legislation and ensures compliance with all regulatory standards;
- Monitors bed utilization and discharge planning, taking action as required; assists/participates as necessary in case management meetings and/or client care/family conferences.
Human Resource Management includes the following:
- Promotes a climate conducive to the attraction, development, and retention of competent and appropriately qualified staff;
- In collaboration with YHC People Services and Culture (PSC) Department and consistent with YHC policies and practices, recruits, hires and orientates direct reports as required to ensure adequate and safe staffing for the facility;
- Develops the potential of personnel by providing ongoing feedback and completing performance evaluations;
- Complies with and administers the Collective Agreements; conducts employee investigations and may hear grievances as required;
- Ensures appropriate documentation is provided to PSC for the maintenance of personnel files in accordance with YHC policy.
Leadership Development responsibilities include the following:
- Identifies direct report learning needs and collaborates with appropriate colleagues to provide ongoing educational opportunities and relevant continuing education;
- Coaches staff to develop patient focused skills that improve decision-making, critical thinking skills, innovation, and flexibility; and establishes and maintains open channels for expression of ideas, opinions and concern regarding work environment, program delivery, nursing practices, etc. to maintain morale and high quality of service.
Fiscal responsibilities include the following:
- Assumes responsibility for the annual preparation of departmental budgets;
- Monthly review of budget, including variance analysis, in consultation with the Executive Director, Patient Experience and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and directs change as necessary; reviews, codes, and approves invoices/requests for goods within delegated authority;
- Participates in capital equipment planning in consultation with the Executive Director, Patient Experience and with input from staff;
- Facilitates cost effective delivery of service while promoting awareness of health care costs.
Information Management responsibilities, with guidance/support from the Health Records Department as required, include:
- Responds to requests for, and maintains appropriate records and reports as per the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPP), Health Information Privacy and Management Act (HIPMA), and YHC’s policies;
- Ensures that appropriate agencies are notified in accordance with current legislation, e.g. Yukon Worker’s Compensation Health and Safety Board.
- Leads and participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of divisional policies, and procedures.
- Contributes to and ensures staff adhere to patient and staff safety initiatives and ensures staff adhere to Workplace Safety and Health Regulations and security procedures.
Knowledge and experience
- Strong knowledge of health care and hospital systems
- Sound knowledge of professional practices and procedures as outlined by Yukon Registered Nurses Profession Act and Yukon Practical Nurses Act, along with a strong understanding of current nursing standards, policies, and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge in recruitment strategies, performance management, and with the administration and interpretation of collective agreements
- Self-directed and strong collaborative skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to lead and work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to develop operating, maintenance, and capital budgets, including analysis
- Ability to develop and achieve operational plans
- Ability to establish, lead and maintain positive change
- Ability to deal with multiple complex issues and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop employees
- Ability to focus on creating an exceptional quality patient and family experience and ensuring patient safety
- Ability to support the development of orientation programs, in-service education and training programs
- Strong ability to prepare data sheets, business cases, and reports
- Strong ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and make decisions both interdependently and independently
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
Education and relevant certifications
- Master’s degree in Nursing or equivalent
- A minimum of five years management experience in a hospital or health care setting
- A certificate in hospital or health care services administration and/or management, nursing administration or human resource management, or equivalent preferred
- Experience in quality, safety and/or risk management
- Workplace violence prevention training/certification
- Current registration with the Yukon Registered Nurses Association, or recognized equivalent organization
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding benefit package
- Generous housing allowance
- Relocation package
Questions and application information
If you are interested in being considered for this exciting and challenging leadership position, please submit your confidential expression of interest (cover letter and current resume) to Ed Perkovic, Vice President Search Delivery, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please contact a member of the Project Team:
LEE HECHT HARRISON KNIGHTSBRIDGE
As leaders in Search, Talent and Leadership Development, and Career Solutions, we assist organizations in finding new talent, and helping their employees navigate change, become better leaders, develop better careers, and transition into new jobs. We have the local expertise, global infrastructure, and industry-leading technology and analytics required to simplify the complexity associated with executing critical talent and workforce initiatives, reducing brand and operational risk. Teams across Canada and around the world leverage our proven programs and global experience to deliver tailored solutions to clients that align talent with the needs of their business. Our global reach spans more than 300 locations in 65 countries, with a global workforce of over 3,000 experienced professionals. For more information visit www.lhhknightsbridge.com