Admitting & Discharge Clerk– Whitehorse General Hospital
(PSAC Bargaining Unit)
Term Part Time (0.75 FTE)
January 4, 2022 to March 31, 2023- Night Shift
This position is at the L04 level with an hourly pay range of $27.59 to $34.92
Reporting to the Manager Admissions and Discharge (A&D) and Health Records, the incumbent operates the Hospital switchboard and paging systems; registers patients and processes hospital admissions, discharges and transfers for inpatients, Emergency, Surgical Day Care, Minor Procedure and Clinical patients in the Patient Information (ADT) System; performs hospital reception and other related financial and clerical duties, liaises with patients, physicians, visitors, hospital departments and other staff.
Knowledge and skills required for this position are as follows:
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Knowledge of the functions of a general hospital
- Knowledge of MS Office products Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent typing/keyboarding skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong observation skills
- Ability to interview patients who are often under duress and obtain necessary information
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to pay attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness
- Proficient use of office equipment and computers
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands in a stressful environment
- Ability to work independently and without supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, use tact and diplomacy, and work under pressure
- Cross Cultural awareness
The successful applicant will have a grade 12 education or GED, minimum 6 months experience dealing with the general public, minimum 6 month experience in an office setting, a type speed of 40 wpm, and Non Violent Crisis Intervention or other violent prevention training (to be obtained within 6 months of hire). Experience with a switchboard or paging system, medical terminology course, Medical Office Assistant or similar medical office or hospital support type course such as Hospital Support Specialist, experience with Meditech and previous admitting experience would be considered an asset for this position.
Quoting competition #2021-776, email your resume by 4:00 pm January 4, 2022 to: email@example.com
Indigenous Workforce Initiative – We are committed to having a diverse and representative workforce that reflects the community we serve. When applying to YHC Career Opportunities, we invite you to voluntarily self-identify in the email body of your application. Please do so in whatever manner you feel accurately reflects who you are. You will then be connected with Yukon Hospitals’ Indigenous Workforce Initiative (IWI), where you can receive support with application materials, hear about additional training or mentorship opportunities, and ask any questions you have. All self-identification information will remain confidential. You are also welcome to contact IWI supports before submitting your application at IWI@wgh.yk.ca or call 867-332-7203.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status (Permanent Resident), Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.