POSITION: Nurse Practitioner – Inpatient Medicine – Full Time (1.0)
SALARY: $51.02 to $59.21 per hour
COMPETITION # 22-318 (UNION)
CHEO is much more than a hospital. Our commitment to outstanding care and continued development impacts every part of a child and youth’s health and well-being. We play a crucial role in building a healthy future for our community. Working at CHEO means a rewarding career. For the tenth time, CHEO has been recognized as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers. We are among a select group of organizations at the forefront of their respective industries who offer exceptional places to work.
Pediatric health care is an exciting, challenging and rewarding field. If you are driven by a desire to help create the best life for children and youth, consider applying for a position at CHEO. At CHEO you will discover a supportive environment, a great team and a rewarding career.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) at CHEO is a nurse in an advanced nursing practice position with additional educational preparation from an accredited NP program and who has clinical expertise in a pediatric nursing subspecialty. The NP integrates the skills and knowledge from nursing and medicine within a broad framework of advanced nursing practice. The NP functions both autonomously and in collaboration with physicians and other health care providers to manage, in a comprehensive manner the health needs of a defined population of patients/ case load. The NP has pediatric experience with an interest in ensuring smooth, efficient transitions in care. The primary role of the NP is to manage patient flow with a focus on discharge planning and facilitating discharges. The NP may also assist the MRP/pediatrics team with overseeing the care of patients admitted and transferred to the inpatient medicine service until the pediatrics team available to take full responsibility.
The NP will also collaborate with the Inpatient Medicine Manager, the Clinical Operations Managers and the Command Centre to help prioritize tasks regarding patient flow. The NP will be responsible for gaining a needs awareness of community resources and ensuring knowledge transfer of these resources to the Inpatient Medicine Team. In addition he/she is expected to become proficient in the use of CHEO’s EHR – Epic – particularly with available patient flow tools.
Job responsibilities include the following areas: Direct Clinical practice and Consultation (80%), Education (5-10%), Leadership/ Change Agent (5-10%), Project Management (5-10%) and ongoing Professional Development.
Working closely with the Inpatient Medicine Interdisciplinary Team, the nurse practitioner will participate in the management of patients admitted in the Inpatient Medicine Department and support their transitions in care as well as being involved in their medical management.
- Vulnerable Sector Check (Essential)
- Masters degree in Nursing (Essential)
- Current certification with the College of Nurses of Ontario, as RN in the Extended Class (Essential)
- Three to five years of recent related clinical nursing experience (Essential)
- Current appropriate level of life-support training (e.g., BCLS) (Essential)
- Member of RNAO/NPAO or relevant specialty professional nursing association (Preferred)
- Experience in Pediatrics (Essential)
- Ability to function collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team and practice in a self-directed manner (Essential)
- Demonstrated experience in research and education activities (Essential)
- Demonstrated excellent leadership abilities excellent organizational abilities (Essential)
- ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- ability to participate as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- creativity, innovation, flexibility and initiative
- sound conflict resolution skills and problem-solving abilities
- Sound crisis management skills (Essential)
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job (Essential)
- Bilingualism (Essential)
Bilingualism (French/English) will be validated by a language proficiency assessment conducted by a third party provider. Candidates will be required to meet the minimum linguistic profile prior to the date of hire.
CHEO values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process and welcome interest from all qualified applicants.
Should you require accommodation during any phase in the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential and will be handled in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
We encourage all applicants to apply through https://careers.cheo.on.ca/
We thank all those who apply, however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted