$123,883 – $145,743
Reporting to the Vice-President, Academic and Research Impact at HSN and HSNRI, you will help advance the key goal articulated in the 2019-2024 Strategic Plan of HSN and HSNRI (www.yourhsn.ca) to strengthen our Academic and Research Impact. We aspire to progress as an academic health sciences centre, through regional, provincial, national and international collaborations. Associated desired outcomes include fostering an inter-professional learning culture where every learner is welcomed and supported, championing a regional health innovation cluster, and supporting research efforts of researchers and medical staff that are favourably peer-reviewed, partially funded through external sources and involve collaborations. Support will include space and access to HSNRI scientists, inclusive of ICES North, statisticians, grant-writers and administrative staff. Collaborative research towards Cancer Solutions, Cardiovascular Health, Healthy Aging and Indigenous Health will be advanced.
You will provide operational leadership to a team of approximately 50 people and a budget of close to $10 million dollars. You will support the Vice-President, scientists, research leads, research chairs, the Director of IC/ES North and the Medical Director of the Simulation Laboratory. You will lead a team of managers in research services, research safety, ethics and compliance, clinical trials and the simulation laboratory, as well as staff supporting more than 2,000 medical and non-medical learners and the library, and other staff supporting academic and research activities. You will ensure that HSNRI policies and procedures remain updated and monitored, that deliverables of research contracts are met, and that principle investigators are encouraged and supported in developing competitive external research funding proposals and collaboration opportunities.
You will work closely with administrative and medical directors and chiefs of medical departments at HSN, peers at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Laurentian University, Cambrian College, Collège Boréal and in other postsecondary institutions, partners and funders.
This is a great opportunity to help build momentum at one of Canada’s top 40 research hospitals, that recently opened a new $20 million facility for HSNRI, and a new $27.9 million Labelle Innovation and Learning Centre at HSN.
Ideal candidates will possess at least an undergraduate degree, supervisory experience, and prior experience in an academic, research or innovation environment. A master’s degree or PhD and bilingualism are assets.
Note: Interested applicants are asked to apply directly to posting # 22 – 0519 on the HSN Careers Website at hsnsudbury.ca/careers. The position will remain active until filled. The search committee will begin reviewing applicants on April 20, 2022.
Reporting to the Vice President, Academic and Research Impact, the Director is responsible for the advancement of the Academic and Research portfolio, implementing the Strategic and Research plans and serves as the leader for day-to-day operations.
This position advises the Senior Leadership Team by providing extensive professional assistance, management, leadership and recommendations on issues and performs highly responsible management work covering a broad range of activities and responsibilities.
The incumbent provides management and leadership in all organizational aspects, including facilities management, finances, human resources and staff supervision, professional development, strategic planning, and regulatory and compliance issues.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Academic and Research portfolio.
- Serves as a direct supervisor for Managers and other staff members.
- Creates transparent internal decision making systems fostering accountability and enables staff to set priorities and monitor performance against key strategies and goals.
- Facilitates the strategic growth of Academics and Research within the institution, including space, planning and program development
- Oversees the operations of clinical research conducted within HSN and HSNRI to ensure efficient execution of trials.
- Ensures all research activities conducted are compliant with regulations and risk is managed.
- Assumes fiscal accountability of the departmental budget.
- Participates in the development of and monitors the annual operations and budget.
- Monitors all contracts and agreements.
- Determines and aligns improvement projects with HSN/HSNRI’s Strategic Plan; monitors and adjusts to achieve goal outcomes.
- Sustains and develops knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed laws and regulations affecting the organization.
- Works collaboratively with members of the Senior Leadership team, Performance Leadership Committee and frontline clinical and non-clinical leadership to promote the HSN Management System.
- Oversees the work of others in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), its regulations, and HSN/HSNRI policies.
- Provides hospital wide, on-call coverage for problems and serious issues after hours and on weekends according to scheduled rotation.
- Participates in the accreditation process and work to ensure that the program and HSN achieve, maintain and continually improve upon their accredited status.
- Engages in and fosters professional development of all staff and provides opportunities for learning within budgeted resources.
- Ensures a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors; investigate report, debrief and take or direct corrective action as required on incidents.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders/organizations/community groups to achieve program objectives, integrate and link services and foster partnerships across the continuum of service delivery.
- Participates in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
- Represents the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education / Certification(s)
- University Degree in Health Sciences or Equivalent (i.e. Business Administration, Health Administration or related discipline); an equivalent combination of work experience and education may be substituted
- Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is required.
Experience / Special Skills / Training
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in a research, academic or innovation institution.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in a supervisory position.
- Demonstrated presentation skills with the ability to impact and influence others at all levels.
- Demonstrated leadership, critical thinking, analytical thinking, conflict management, and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated staff management with a highly collaborative and energetic management style.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement initiatives, including project planning and leadership.
- Proven ability to develop, monitor, administer and report on finances.
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Demonstrated ability to independently identify issues, plan improvements, measure success and continue improvement.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and principles of management, committee structures, conflict management and resolution, system needs analysis and organizational assessment.
- Ability to use tact and discretion in dealing with health care providers and employees.
- Demonstrated excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook) and patient information systems.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
- Demonstrated ability to develop partnerships and collaborative processes across the organization and other institutions.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated positive work record and excellent attendance record.
- Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
- Ability to travel between local sites.
- Bilingualism is an asset.