Registered Nurse – Cardiology
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition# 96517
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research, ranked fourth in Canada and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics.
Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Located in Hamilton’s downtown core, Hamilton General Hospital provides leading edge care and is home to a number of regional referral programs. The neurosciences and trauma program is a provincial leader in both volume and complexity of care provided. The HGH stroke program has pioneered an integrated approach to care, and our burn treatment program is one of only two in Ontario. The cardiac and vascular program performs more heart surgeries and procedures than any other facility in the province.
The Cardiology and Vascular Surgery Unit, located at the Hamilton General Hospital 4 West is comprised of 19 Cardiology beds and 13 Vascular beds. Within the unit, there are 3 cardiology and 4 vascular step-down unit beds, as well as an assessment bay for vascular patients and capacity to ECG monitor by telemetry.
4 West patients could include those with heart failure, patients with CAD recovering from a AMI or ACS event; patients following PCI; patients with valvular, pericardial or myopathic conditions requiring investigation or treatment; complex arrhythmias including those for EPS, ablation or device (pacemaker/implantable cardioverter defibrillator) management. Vascular patients are admitted pre and post-operatively and cared for by an interdisciplinary team after undergoing vascular surgical procedures.
Our 4 West nurses are set up for success and go through a comprehensive onsite orientation program, led by experienced health care professionals and educators. As a member of the multidiscipline healthcare team, the Registered Nurse coordinates and evaluates patient care and provides nursing care according to the standards of practice for Registered Nurses. HGH provides opportunities to grow your skills and expertise and prides itself on a fast, friendly and welcoming environment with an emphasis on the wellbeing and mentorship of our nurses.
Schedule Work Hours
Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Knowledge of and experience in medical/surgical nursing
- Completion of Critical Practice Orientation (CPO) training, or interested in and ability to complete CPO training offered by HHS (ECG interpretation and monitoring)
- Experience in IV access, venipuncture, cardiac rhythm monitoring, and post-operative patient care.
- Current knowledge of the assessment and management of an acute cardiac and vascular population.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the nursing care planning process and evidence of the ability to utilize problem-solving and critical thinking techniques effectively in an acute cardiology and vascular setting.
- Demonstrated ability to function within an interdisciplinary team including nursing collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, stressful environment, maintaining professionalism and excellent team collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (written and verbal) effectively with patients, families, and other members of the health care team.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and organize work in response to patient needs.
- Willingness to participate in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) and innovation.
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
Salary: $34.24 – $49.02 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.