Registered Nurse – Intensive Care Unit
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition # 96371
Requisition # 96371
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research—ranked fourth in Canada—and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Located in the Hamilton’s downtown core, the Hamilton General Hospital (HGH) is home to the Hamilton Center for Vascular Health (HCVH). As a center of excellence in cardiovascular and stroke care, we service a population of 2.3 million residents within the central south region of Ontario and beyond. The HCVH provides leadership and innovation in delivering tertiary and quaternary care in the areas of cardiology, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, stroke and thrombosis through an interdisciplinary patient-centered model of care. Our partnerships with McMaster University and the David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute allow us to provide world renowned research, more community based care, increase emphasis on population health and health promotion, patient and family engagement and maximize the use of technology and innovation. The ICU West is a 16 bed, level 3 tertiary and quaternary unit performing the highest volume of cardiovascular surgical procedures in the province.
Using a multidisciplinary and collaborative team approach, dedicated to the principles of patient-and family-centered care, the Registered Nurse coordinates and evaluates patient care and provides nursing care according to the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario, and Standards of Practice for Critical Care Nurses in Ontario. Our nurses treat highly complex patients using innovative treatment modalities including Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), Impella, Intra-aortic Balloon Pump and Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies (CRRT). The ICU also supports the Critical Care Response Team for the HGH site, bringing highly skilled, specialized, critical care nurses, as members of a multidisciplinary team, to offer support and consultation outside of the ICU. As a Royal College Accredited training program and through our affiliation with McMaster University, we offer opportunities for learning and conduct world renowned research.
Schedule Work Hours
Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Recent (within 2 years) nursing experience in Level 3 critical care unit (as defined by CCSO)
- Demonstrated experience and ability in caring for patients requiring Hemodynamic and Cardiac Monitoring, Mechanical Ventilation, Resuscitation, Management of Shock Syndromes and other advanced life support interventions (subject to testing)
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of interpersonal and inter-professional conflict resolution and HHS Values Based Code of Conduct and Mutual Respect
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of critical thinking to effectively manage prioritization of work and respond to a rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of Service Excellence Behaviours to all interactions with patients and families.
- Demonstrated commitment to self-directed professional education and development
- Demonstrated understanding of Problem Solving and Continuous Quality Improvement Processes.
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
Salary: $34.24 – $49.02 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.