Registered Nurse – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition # 96366
Requisition # 96366
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research, ranked fourth in Canada and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
McMaster Children’s Hospital (MCH), located on the McMaster University campus in Hamilton’s beautiful Westdale neighbourhood, has been providing care to children from across the region since 1988. Here, patients ranging in age from infancy to 17 benefit from a family-centered approach that prioritizes the child’s emotional, mental and physical well-being. The hospital is home to the fastest-growing kids-only emergency department in Ontario, one of Canada’s most advanced neonatal intensive care units, and a range of programs and clinics with unique expertise in a number of areas including children’s cancer, digestive diseases, and mental health.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at McMaster Children’s Hospital is comprised of a Level III NICU, a Level IIc nursery and a neonatal transport team, providing medical and surgical care to neonatal patients and their families. Our NICU serves a broad geographic area within southern Ontario. The interdisciplinary team provides family-centered care with a strong focus on evidence-based best practice and continuous quality improvement. McMaster NICU is also actively involved in a number of collaborative quality improvement initiatives provincially, nationally and internationally.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is a fast paced, complex and highly acute environment. The Registered Nurse is an integral member of the interdisciplinary team, working collaboratively in the Level III NICU and Level IIc nursery. Responsibilities include the provision of high quality neonatal nursing care to patients and families and demonstrating a commitment to excellence in supporting the patient and family experience.
Schedule Work Hours
Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
- Certificate in Neonatal/Perinatal nursing or equivalent
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation Provider (NRP) and Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Two (2) years’ experience in a Level II Nursery within the last three (3) years
- Knowledge of pre-term and full-term infant pathophysiology and the management of infants requiring acute care
- Knowledge of family dynamics relating to the birth process, critical illness and death and dying
- Demonstrated ability to provide comprehensive nursing care to acutely ill newborns and their families
- Demonstrated ability to teach others and knowledge of adult teaching/learning principles
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills especially in stressful situations
- Demonstrated teamwork, organization, problem-solving and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in critical high stress situations
- Demonstrated ability to be highly motivated, self-directed and responsive to ever changing environments and patient conditions
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
Salary: $34.24 – $49.02 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.