Registered Nurse – Oncology
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition# 96523
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research, ranked fourth in Canada and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, located on Hamilton’s beautiful mountain brow, is home to the Regional Cancer Program as well as a community emergency department, a general medical and intensive care service, and a robust surgical program. It serves a population of more than 2.3 million people.
The Oncology Unit (C3) is an active inpatient oncology facility providing a continuum of care for adults with solid tumor malignancies. The Unit is comprised of diverse services including: surgical, medical, radiation, and palliative oncology. The surgical services represented are Gynecological and Orthopedic. The goals of therapy are cure, control or palliation. Patients are often admitted for management of complex issues such as oncologic emergencies and symptom control.
As a valued member of the C3 Oncology healthcare team, the Registered Nurse provides leadership in the coordination of nursing care for patients with complex oncologic symptoms and solid tumor malignancies. In collaboration with the interdisciplinary healthcare team and community agencies, the RN provides compassionate and dedicated quality care for patients and their families. In accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards and HHS’ mission, vision, values and policies, the RN improves the health of our patients and residents through their evidence-based clinical practice and leadership in healthcare delivery.
Schedule Work Hours
Rotating days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays 12 and 8 hour shifts
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse or eligible for temporary registration
- Advanced oncology nursing credentials such as Certified Oncology Nurse (CON(C), McMaster University Oncology Nursing Certificate, Mohawk College Oncology Certificate or equivalent from an accredited educational institution
- Current BCLS certification
- Recent (within the last 2 years) experience in the care of oncology patients
- Recent (within the last 2 years) experience in antineoplastic drug administration
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current assessment and management of a broad range of oncology patients including surgical, chemotherapy, radiation and palliative care patients
- Demonstrated experience and skill in chemotherapy administration, IV starts and the care of central lines
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work with biohazardous agents, specifically antineoplastic drugs
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills
- Demonstrated ability to support patients and families of patients who are terminally ill
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
Salary: $34.24 – $49.02 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.