Registered Nurse – Oncology Day Services
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition # 96377
Requisition # 96377
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research, ranked fourth in Canada and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, located on Hamilton’s beautiful mountain brow, is home to the Regional Cancer Program as well as a community emergency department, a general medical and intensive care service, and a robust surgical program. It serves a population of more than 2.3 million people. The site has a rich history, and originally treated soldiers in WWI. More than 100 years later, is a headquarters for some of the country’s most advanced cancer care and clinical trials.
B4, Oncology Day Services provides integrated and outpatient care for individuals with hematological and oncological disorders in an ambulatory setting. Within the umbrella of ODS, is the Stem Cell/Bone Marrow Transplant and Apheresis Programs. The primary therapies supported in ODS are blood product infusion, medication infusion, patient assessment, stem cell harvests, post stem cell/bone marrow transplant follow up clinic and chemotherapy administration.
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse evaluates and provides nursing care to meet patient’s needs, and collaborates with the team to provide holistic and evidences based care to our patient population. The
Registered Nurse may be asked to represent the Hematology Day Care Unit on hospital and regional committees related to clinical, research, education or QI activities.
Schedule Work Hours
days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
- Advanced oncology nursing credentials such as Certified Oncology Nurse (CON(C), McMaster University Oncology
- Nursing Certificate, Mohawk College Oncology Certificate or equivalent from an accredited educational institution
- Current BCLS certification
- Extensive (at least 1 year) experience with transfusion therapy and monitoring patient outcomes
- Recent (within 2 years) experience in an acute inpatient unit
- Experience and skill in chemotherapy administration, advanced vascular access therapy skills, IV starts and the care of central lines
- Chemotherapy Certification required
- Recent (within 1 year) experience in antineoplastic drug administration and apheresis
- Recent (within the last 2 years) experience in the care of patients undergoing blood cell transplantation
- Demonstrated ability to work with technical equipment, eg. COBE Spectra
- Knowledge of the current assessment and management of the acute care malignant hematology patient receiving chemotherapy, radiation, or palliative care
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills; ability to organize, prioritize and carry out multiple tasks; effectively assess and meet patients learning needs; support patient and families of patients who are terminally or chronically ill
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing personal/professional development
- Available to work a flexible time schedule
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
Salary: $34.24 – $49.02 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.