Registered Practical Nurse – CTU Medicine
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition# 96374
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research, ranked fourth in Canada and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, located on Hamilton’s beautiful mountain brow, is home to the Regional Cancer Program as well as a community emergency department, a general medical and intensive care service, and a robust surgical program. It serves a population of more than 2.3 million people. The site has a rich history, and originally treated soldiers in WWI. More than 100 years later, is a headquarters for some of the country’s most advanced cancer care and clinical trials.
Operating within the Seniors, Emergency, and Community Medicine Program, the CTU Medicine Unit (E3) is a clinical teaching unit (CTU) that cares for patients with serious medical conditions. The interdisciplinary care team supports a primarily geriatric patient population with multi-system chronic illnesses.
As a valued member of the CTU Medicine Unit (E3), the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) provides clinical support and direct care according to the scope and standards set out in the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Guideline. The RPN will provide high quality nursing care to patients in collaboration with the Registered Nurse on the unit. The RPN is responsible for assessing care needs, implementing the health care plan and reporting any changes in a patient’s status.
Schedule Work Hours
days, nights, weekends, holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse
- Current Certificates or current community college studies in asepsis, wound care, airway management, complex wound care, patient assessment, urinary catheterization, administering enteral feeds, Medication administration, transcribing orders
- Documented completion of a recognized IV course that includes IV medication administration, venipuncture and blood and blood product administration
- Current CPR Certificate
- Recent experience in acute Medical and or Surgical/Orthopedic nursing
- Demonstrated experience in working with an interdisciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability to function in an environment which is fast-paced, with unpredictable patient outcomes
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, families and other members of the healthcare team
- Ability to set priorities and organize work in response to patient needs
- Demonstrated knowledge of TLC protocols (Transfer/Lifts for Caregivers)
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills both written and verbal
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health.
Salary: $30.5512 – $31.1747 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.