Registered Nurse – General Medicine
Please apply via http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/careers and search for Requisition# 97226
Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research, ranked fourth in Canada and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Located in Hamilton’s downtown core, Hamilton General Hospital provides leading edge care and is home to a number of regional referral programs. The neurosciences and trauma program is a provincial leader in both volume and complexity of care provided. The HGH stroke program has pioneered an integrated approach to care, and our burn treatment program is one of only two in Ontario. The cardiac and vascular program performs more heart surgeries and procedures than any other facility in the province.
5 West Medicine, located at the Hamilton General Hospital, is an active adult general internal medicine unit. An interdisciplinary team provides care to an acutely ill, primarily geriatric patient population, including patients with multi-system chronic illnesses. 5 West utilizes a patient & family-centred, evidence based approach to care and is frequently recognized for its positive impact on patient experience. The 5 West department at HGH takes an innovative approach to our orientation programs. We welcome nurses entering the profession and are committed to ensuring a successful transition from student to nurse.
Our 5 West Registered Nurses care for a wide range of patients with complex medical issues. All medicine nurses are set up for success and go through a comprehensive onsite orientation program, led by experienced health care professionals and educators. As a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team, the Registered Nurse coordinates and evaluates patient care, and provides nursing care according to the Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses. 5 West provides opportunities to develop your skills and expertise and prides itself on a fast, friendly and welcoming environment with an emphasis on the wellbeing and mentorship of our nurses.
Schedule Work Hours
Rotating days, nights, weekends, and holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Completion of Critical Practice Orientation (CPO) or interested in and ability to complete CPO training offered by HHS
- Two (2) years of relevant nursing experience (within the last 2 years) in acute medicine
- Knowledge of the current nursing assessment and management of adult and geriatric medicine patients, including rehabilitative approaches to patient care
- Knowledge of the nursing care plan and evidence of ability to utilize problem-solving and critical-thinking techniques effectively in an acute medical setting
- Demonstrated ability to function within an interdisciplinary team including nursing collaboration with RPN and other members of the health care team
- Demonstrated ability to function in environments that are fast-paced and that have moderately complex care requirements
- Ability to communicate (written and verbal) effectively with patients, families, and other members of the health care team
- Ability to set priorities and organize work in response to patient needs
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
$34.24 – $49.02 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.