Step into a job that opens countless doors. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system, and the only one in the province to provide care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. You can explore advancement opportunities, take professional development courses, and stretch yourself as a leader, all at HHS.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region, and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research – ranked fourth in Canada- and we focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our multi-site hospital has over 1,100 beds and we offer world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care and pediatrics. Open the door to a career that evolves with you. Start exploring opportunities now and join our team of over 15,000 dedicated staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers.
Located in Hamilton’s downtown core, the Satellite Health Facility (SHF) team provides care for low acuity and Alternate Level of Care (ALC) patients. Generally, patients transferred from other HHS sites to the SHF are waiting for: Home with Home Care supports, Transitional Care, Long-Term Care or require time to convalesce after an acute care admission. The SHF team is critical to achieving HHS’ vision of “Best Care for All” – supporting HHS patients to receive the right care in the right place!
The SHF is part of the Community & Population Health Program and approved to operate until March 2023. Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) recruited for the SHF are hired into permanent positions through the Nursing Resource Team (NRT). The RPN will work as part of a multidisciplinary team within the SHF. Our SHF nurses are set-up for success and go through a comprehensive on-site orientation program, led by experienced health care professionals and educators. As a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team, the RPN coordinates and evaluates patient care and provides nursing care according to the standards of practice for RPNs.
Schedule Work Hours
12 hour shifts, rotating days, nights, weekends, and holidays
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Current certificates or current Community College studies in asepsis, wound care, airway management, complex wound care, patient assessment, urinary catheterization, administering enteral feeds, Medication administration, transcribing orders
- Documented completion of a recognized IV course that includes IV medication administration, venipuncture and blood and blood product administration
- Demonstrated experience in working with an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, families and other members of the healthcare team
- Ability to set priorities and organize work in response to patient needs
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills both written and verbal
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Employee Health Services.
$30.5512 – $31.1747 hourly
Proficiency in both Official Languages would be an asset.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.