Competition #2023-370 (PSAC Bargaining Unit)
Term Part Time Position – (0.5 FTE)
June 18, 2023 – December 29, 2023
This position is at the L06 level with an hourly pay range of $32.42 – $41.02
Are you looking to be part of an exceptional and passionate health care team in one of Canada’s most spectacular natural environments with vast and stunning wilderness at your doorstep?
Yukon Hospitals strives to cultivate an environment of passionate and engaged people with a culture that values growth, work/life balance, and wellness in helping all our people reach optimal ability. Our organization is an integrated system of hospitals: Whitehorse General Hospital (58 beds), Watson Lake Community Hospital (6 beds) and Dawson City Community Hospital (6 beds).
Reporting to the Manager, Laboratory Services and working closely with the Laboratory Technologists the incumbent administers out-patient and in-patient blood and urine sampling, electrocardiograms, holter monitors, and pulmonary function tests; prepares and dispatches specimens to referral laboratories; receives specimens from the Health Centers; performs clerical and other related duties.
Knowledge and skills required:
- Knowledge of medical laboratory terminology;
- Demonstrated keyboarding ability of 30 wpm with less than 5% error rate;
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality;
- Ability to understand and follow all applicable policies and procedures;
- Understanding of basic laboratory technical testing;
- Ability to perform ECG and PFT;
- Demonstrated ability to perform phlebotomy on all clients including the newborn and infirm;
- Ability to work safely and follow universal precautions;
- Ability to maintain inventory and keep workspace clean and tidy;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment;
- Strong attention to details;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Professionalism, thoroughness, punctuality, reliability and tact;
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work in a team environment and foster team dynamics;
- Cross cultural
The successful candidate will have certification as a Medical Laboratory Assistant with an accredited institution with practical experience in a medical laboratory setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. CPR, TDG and ECG interpretation certifications are a requirement for this position, or must obtain within 6 months of hire. Previous employment in a health care setting would be considered an asset.
TO APPLY: Quoting competition #2023-370, please e-mail your resume to: email@example.com
For more information, contact recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org
Indigenous Workforce Initiative – We are committed to having a diverse and representative workforce that reflects the community we serve. When applying to YHC Career Opportunities, we invite you to voluntarily self-identify in the email body of your application. Please do so in whatever manner you feel accurately reflects who you are. You will then be connected with Yukon Hospitals’ Indigenous Workforce Initiative (IWI), where you can receive support with application materials, hear about additional training or mentorship opportunities, and ask any questions you have. All self-identification information will remain confidential. You are also welcome to contact IWI supports before submitting your application at IWI@wgh.yk.ca or call 867-332-7203.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to consider resumes from International applicants. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status, Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.