Come work as an Anesthesia Assistant with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Anesthesia Assistant to join the team at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As an Anesthesia Assistant with VCH you will:
- Provide technical support and clinical assistance with induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anesthesia by working both under the direct clinical supervision of the Anesthesiologist and as a member of an integrated surgical team.
- Assist the Anesthesiologist in developing and implementing the anesthesia care plan and monitor physiological responses of patients to the induction of anesthesia during surgery.
- Ensure effective and safe patient care.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement and best practice approach in anesthesiology assistant practice.
- Operate, prepare and maintain anaesthesiology equipment.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Anesthesia Assistant Program plus current certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
- Eligible for membership with the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society (CAS).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of current anesthesia assistant theory and practice within a client/family centered model for care.
- Broad knowledge of the CAS clinical practice guidelines for Anesthesia Assistants.
- Broad knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care in relation to client/family priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to use departmental and hospital policy and procedure manuals.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and deal effectively with clients and their families, co-workers, physicians, other health care staff and staff of outside agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload prioritizes in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of medical equipment and supplies appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized patient care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to carry out the duties of the job.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and “going first” when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.