Come work as a Registered Nurse in Transitional Care at GF Strong!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Registered Nurse (RN) to join the team in the Transitional Care. Apply today to join our team!
About the Transitional Long Term Care Team:
The Transitional Long Term Care Unit at GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre provides care for patients who are being transitioned from an acute care treatment setting to their future long term care facility. The team is compromised of dedicated RNs and LPNs who provide a full range of professional duties and provide high quality care to patients.
As a Registered Nurse in the Transitional Care unit you will:
- Provide nursing care to assigned patients/clients by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for patients who present with acute medical illnesses.
- Participate in discharge planning, function as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated patient/client group- Hospitalist Acute Medicine
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Dementia; Delirium; Diabetes; Liver disease (including cirrhosis); Renal disease; Failure to thrive; CHF; COPD; UTI; Pneumonia; Alcohol and drug dependency)
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Oxygenation and airway maintenance; IV Therapy; Dysphagia; Continuous Bladder Irrigation (CBI); Dementia and delirium management; Sepsis; Complex wound care; Ulcer management; Palliative care (including pain management); Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.)
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Oxygen delivery equipment; other care related pumps, bladder scanner and catheters.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with dementia and/or delirium. Differentiates between symptoms of dementia and/or delirium; Utilizes appropriate tool to determine and addresses underlying causes.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of: Chest tubes; Cytotoxic agents; Complex wounds; Catheters including CVCs; Feeding tubes; Medication assessment and administration relevant to patient population (e.g. insulin, anticoagulants, primary/secondary IV infusions, narcotics).
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting CVC; CVC/PICC maintenance; Administering blood and blood product transfusions; TPN/Enteral Nutrition.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and “going first” when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.