Come work as a Respiratory Therapist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Relocation Assistance may be available.
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Respiratory Therapist to join the team at qathet General Hospital in Powel River, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Respiratory Therapist you will:
- Practices in accordance with the standards of professional practice as outlined by the Health Professionals Testing Canada (HPTC) as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of the organization.
- Work without general supervision and perform ongoing respiratory care in a multi-disciplinary setting to clients with Tracheostomies and/or variety of illnesses/diseases including, but not limited to acute and/or chronic respiratory illnesses or pathologies of the airway both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care Professionals.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement and best practice approach in respiratory practice.
- Conduct various cardiac diagnostic tests such as Electrocardiogram (ECG), stress testing, and Holter Monitoring for analysis and interpretation by medical staff.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
ABOUT POWELL RIVER, BC
On the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, where endless green mountains meet sheltered Pacific Ocean waters, Powell River provides a stimulating blend of outdoor adventure and cultural amenities. Originally founded as a resource extraction centre – once home to the world’s largest pulp and paper mill – Powell River now offers adventurers countless opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, golfing, boating, hiking, biking, fishing, and scuba diving. This area is host to world-class art galleries, tremendous dining opportunities, and memorable events and festivals.
On the doorstep of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, the Powell River region offers an array of experiences for travelers of all kinds, no matter the season. Experience the legendary Sunshine Coast Trail and Powell Forest Canoe Route, rock-climb the Eldred Valley, snowshoe in the Knuckleheads; this is the adventure destination you’ve long been waiting for.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy Program.
- Successful completion of the Health Professionals Testing Canada Credentialing Exam.
- Eligible for membership with the Health Professionals Testing Canada and BC Society of Respiratory Therapists.
- Completion of additional coursework and clinical training in conduction of ECG, Holter Monitor and Stress Tests.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of HPTC standards of practice and clinical practice guidelines.
- Broad knowledge of current respiratory care theory and practices within a client/family centred model of care.
- Basic knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other
- health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership through initiative and independence.
- Demonstrated ability to use the department policy and procedure manual.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated ability in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and “going first” when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.