Island Health is Hiring MHSU Mental Health Support Workers!
Island Health is seeking MHSU Mental Health Support Workers to join our team today. Current and future full-time, part-time, temporary and casual opportunities are available on Vancouver Island, BC. Relocation assistance may be available for eligible candidates. Take the next step and apply today so that we can continue the conversation with you!
Island Health offers a range of services for people seeking support to help manage their mental health and substance use. Our patient-focused MHSU team is compassionate and dedicated to providing primary therapeutic care to clients in a diverse set of safe, respectful health care settings.
- Complex Care Housing (CCH)
- Acute Care: IPU, PIC, PES, Sub-Acute
- Residential and Supportive Housing
- Urgent Primary Care
- Child, Youth & Family
Position: Mental Health Support Worker
Location: Vancouver Island (various opportunities available)
Salary Range (hourly rate): $30.64 – $32.31
- Diploma in Community Social Services, (e.g. Mental Health Worker, Community Health Worker, or Social Services Worker) including post-secondary education in counseling skills training.
- A minimum of two years recent related experience working with persons with mental illness including teaching life skills, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of legislation such as the Mental Health Act and the Guardianship Act.
- Knowledge of available programs, their interrelationships, and their function in delivering care in the community.
- Understanding of the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation, using a client-centered approach.
- Understanding and knowledge of Indigenous health issues, protocols and health needs, including the physical, mental, emotional and Spiritual needs of the client and community.
- Registration with the BC Care Aide Registry to work in some of the hospitals.
- Strong knowledge of harm reduction philosophy and practice.
- Current Level C Basic Life Saving Certificate.
- Valid Class 5 vehicle license.
- Food Safe Certificate an Asset
Why Work Here?
Island Health offers health care services to more than 850,000 residents of Vancouver Island and adjacent coastal communities through hospitals, clinics, health centres, community based health units, long term care and assisted living facilities. As the largest employer on Vancouver Island, we employ 27,000 employees, 2,400 physician partners as well as hosting more than 2,500 volunteers.
We believe that our values guide our actions and relationships, shaping how we make decisions and plan for the future. At Island Health, C.A.R.E. guides everything we do:
- Courage: To do the right thing – to change, innovate and grow.
- Aspire: To the highest degree of quality and safety.
- Respect: To value each individual and bring trust to every relationship.
- Empathy: To give the kind of care we would want for our loved ones.
Island Health continues to be selected for top employer awards, including BC Top Employer (2023). Employees may be eligible for exceptional employer-paid benefit packages including dental and prescription coverage, group live, long-term disability and an extensive extended health plan, as well as vacation, leave, and municipal pension benefits.
Island Health offers programs and services on the unceded and traditional territories of the Coast Salish, Nuu-chah-nulth and Kwakwaka’wakw Peoples.
As an organization, we are committed to cultural safety and humility and we demonstrate this through our actions to address Indigenous specific racism, systemic racism and the ongoing impacts of colonialism.
Please reach out to our Indigenous Recruitment and Retention team for support with your application if you identify as Indigenous at email@example.com
About Vancouver Island
Live, work and play! Surrounded by ocean, Vancouver Islanders enjoy the best year-round climate in Canada with warm summers and mild winters. Imagine skiing, golfing and scuba diving all in the same day! The relaxed pace, easy access to outdoor activities, an abundance of art, music, theatre and festivals ensures that there is something for everyone.
Whatever the lifestyle you are looking for, we have it here.
To keep our employees, clients and the communities we serve safe, Island Health is enforcing an employee mandatory vaccination policy which is intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, Island Health requires Proof of BC Provincial Immunization Registration as a condition of employment, and any offers of employment are contingent on you providing proof of vaccination prior to commencement of the offered effective date. If an offer of employment is extended, but proof of vaccination is not provided, the offer will be rescinded.
Interested in learning more? We want to hear from you!
Apply directly at https://islandhealth.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/184757
To learn more about MHSU services and opportunities at Island Health, visit www.islandhealth-mhsu.com.
Connect with us